HOME1 ABOUT hire facebook 365

Monday, February 18, 2013

Day 49 | Lightning


I was flat out of ideas today so on my way home from work, I thought I'd give night photography a go.
But after supper, the skies opened and we had a full on 30 minute storm. 
I was grateful and thought that once the rain stopped, the sky would be clearer and I'd get some great shots of the town from a lookout point (Signal Hill).
On our way up, however, we noticed some lightning behind the lookout point so we (husband and I) changed direction and went to the opposite side of the town to capture some of this lightning.
Unfortunately it was a bit of a drive (Memel Road) so by the time we reached a good enough spot to stop, the lightning was enveloped by some clouds. The clouds did light up every seven or so seconds so I thought I'd still go ahead and try to photograph it.

With my camera on a tripod and my shutter on bulb, I photographed. 
Above was one result, however the lights down at the bottom of the pic came out a bit to blurry for my liking. 


So I tried again and this was the result. I'm sure if I lighten this up in Photoshop I'd get a bit more purple electricity in the photo but at least for my first attempt, I caught something.
For this photo, my shutter was open for about six seconds. 


And then, just when I realised there wasn't anymore bolts, I got this. A truck driver zoomed past with his cabin lights on, resulting in those lights being pretty high up in the photo. 
I thought it made for an interesting effect.

Overall, I think I'll definitely give this another go to try get it more in focus. 

Sharing is caring. Please comment.

3 comments:

Thanks for your comments!

file:///Users/tanyadossantos/Downloads/pinterest-d896c.html